Do you like writing info? Sound bites? Stats? Bullet points? Then you are sure to love this post. Since the info compiled here has been gleaned from various sources, I won’t bet the rent on it. Still, it is interesting. And thought provoking.
- Over 70 percent of books published in the world are in languages other than English
- About 1.5 million books are in print in the U.S. at any one time.
- The top 10 book publishers in the U.S. control about 88 percent of the market.
- The New York Times reported that “According to a recent survey, 81 percent of people feel that they have a book in them…and should write it.”
- This means that over 200 million people in the U.S. want to write a book.
- Last year, according to Bowker, 764,448 titles were self-published. That’s a mind-boggling 181 percent increase from the previous year.
- California has approximately six times the number of small presses as anywhere else.
- Colorado and Minnesota are the self-publishing runners-up.
- Religious books represent a significant share of today’s publishing market.
- More and more spiritual and religious titles are crossing over into mainstream bookstores.
- Women buy 68 percent of all books sold.
- Most readers never get past page 18 in a book they have purchased.
Interesting, huh? Do you have any stats to add to this list?
“When I want to read a good book, I write one.”